Affinity Insurance Scheme available to BTPA members
BTPA have organised an Affinity Insurance Scheme which is available to members only. The scheme will cover Bowen along with hundreds of other health and wellbeing activities, at no extra premium subject to qualification. Cover can be included for Canine and Equine Bowen and higher risk therapies (for example Acupuncture) can be included for a small additional premium if required. The policy has been arranged through Balens and the underwriter for the scheme is Zurich plc (Zurich).
Balens are a well-established, fourth generation family-run business, dedicated to looking after Health Professionals. They are built on solid roots going back to 1950 and are Pioneers in the development of top quality cover for all types of Health Professional with special rates and industry leading cover that has been developing and improving over many years in this speciality.
The policy wording is unique to Balens, designed by them in conjunction with Zurich, and is one of the widest available on the market and includes many features that other policies do not. Some of the features covered in the policy consist of Medical Malpractice, Professional Indemnity, Public Liability, Product Liability, Loss of Reputation, Breach of Intellectual Property, Client Confidentiality Protection, Loss of Documents cover, First Aid cover as well as Good Samaritan Acts.
Balens include retro-active cover to pick up any previous work performed at no extra charge and the policy covers you to work anywhere in the UK. If you cease to practice, Balens include unlimited run-off cover, which means the policy will always be in place if a claim was made after you stop the policy running and this is also free of charge. They include a Legal Expenses package add-on covering Inland Revenue (HMRC) Investigation cover, free legal advice helpline, criminal allegations made against you and many other features.
Temporary cover abroad is available with no time restrictions and at no additional premium as long as you are a UK resident, excluding USA/Canada. If you are resident in the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Cyprus and Greece, Malta, France, The Netherlands or South Africa then they have a policy available, please contact Balens for more information.
If you would like to take out the policy, CLICK HERE to download an application form. Alternatively please contact Balens directly on 01684 580 771 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting information on the BTPA insurance scheme. After receiving the information, if you would like to take the policy out, please complete the form and return it directly to Balens with payment. At renewal you will have the option of renewing online. There is also an option to pay by direct debit over 10 months. If you would like to use this service there is an interest payable of 9.5% on top of the premium - please contact Balens for more details.
Balens are underwritten by Zurich plc
Who are Balens?
- Balens are a well established, fourth generation family-run business which has been built on solid roots going back to 1950, and we have grown during that time to its’ present size mainly through recommendation, not acquisition or private funding.
- We are Pioneers in the development of top quality cover for all types of Health Professional with special rates and industry leading cover and have been developing and improving our range for over 21 years in this speciality – often copied, never bettered! We also specialise in Charities and not for profit organisations.
- When you deal with Balens you will receive expert advice and claims service from the largest independent health professional specialist Brokers in the UK and Ireland, backed up by state of the art admin technology.
- Our unique quality wordings are designed by us and not available elsewhere and are always evolving.
- We offer consultancy and a Personal Approach in these days of growing impersonality and aim to offer a friendly, listening approach to our clients’ needs. Our slogan “we care for the Carers” describes this intention, and is a good reflection of how we operate. We have been ethically dedicated to Natural Medicine for many years.
- We are flexible and design our procedures around the client and not the other way round! We are an ethical company with 38 staff dedicated to customer care and are not solely motivated by profit.
What does the policy cover?
- The Cover is £4,000,000 or £6,000,000 per section, any one claim, with unlimited number of claims in the year, plus unlimited defence costs are covered in addition. There is no excess.
- Wide definition of cover is clear and is not restricted to treatment only. Cover includes Medical Malpractice, Professional Indemnity, Public / Products Liability (claims in this section do not reduce the amount covered for other sections of the policy as is normally the case in other policies) and Products Liability (provided for unlimited sales to clients and for up to £30,000 sale to non-clients).
- Teaching and Student Work cover (running a school can be covered separately).
- Includes Libel and Slander cover.
- All premiums include full malpractice retroactive cover for previously insured work performed (Doesn’t include the DAS package).
- Loss of Reputation expenses to help repair damage to your business in event of a claim against you
- Breach of Intellectual Property, Client Confidentiality Protection cover,
- Temporary Trips abroad are covered without a time limit (ex USA and Canada). Ex-UK Domiciles may be covered upon request
- Loss of Documents cover included £50,000
- First Aid cover as well as Good Samaritan Acts.
- Run off on cessation of cover or practice is included whether your scheme stays with this insurer or not at no charge whatsoever! There are no restrictions or conditions. This is a Major improvement on what is often available through other insurers. (Doesn’t include the DAS package for unlimited run off as it is a different kind of policy).
- We include an upgrade of cover feature on Zurich Policy that protects you against the effects of inflation and rising court awards - this cover is a pioneering hybrid offering the advantages of a claims occurrence policy with features normally only found on a claims made policy, but with none of the disadvantages, particularly around the issue of discontinuing cover and possibly being uninsured later on if a claim is discovered. Many wordings give conditional “unlimited” or time restricted run off cover if you cease the policy at any time.
- Includes Disciplinary Hearings cover, plus Pre disciplinary hearing legal advice up to £1000.
- Students can be covered for all work prior to qualification, subject to adequate supervision and safeguards
- Wide range of activities can be insured from the non-invasive to the more invasive types, as well as non treatment related work and advice - our definition of a “Health Professional “ or “Health Business” and the various types of situation covered is extremely wide.
- Flexible underwriting to accommodate changes in your practice, fast turnaround of documents and queries
- No additional charges for routine changes to cover or duplicate certificates
The Bowen Therapy Professional Association is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Balens Limited, Bridge House, Portland Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 2TA, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
Other Insurance providers
Holistic Insurance Services
The staff at Holistic Insurance Services (HIS) have been involved with insuring Complementary Therapists in both the UK and the Republic of Ireland since 1999. Holistic Insurance Services was formed in 2002 to specialise in this field. HIS can tailor policies for specific individual requirements and offer customised insurance packages for groups and associations with a membership of more than 10 members.
Should you require any further information regarding HIS then visit their website www.holisticinsurance.co.uk.
Insurance for BTPA Members working overseas
We know that most of our members who live permanently overseas may not able to get insurance in their country because it does not exist there. However, although it is not a local requirement, BTPA does require it for Full membership.
Overseas members may be able to obtain insurance from either Holistic Insurance Services or Balens. Please contact them directly.